Pumpkin cake pops are such a fun and easy treat! All you need is spice cake mix and a few other ingredients for a bite that is packed with Fall flavor. Perfect for parties and snacking!
Using spice cake mix makes pumpkin cake pops stress free and adds another layer of amazing spice flavor. I've put these in a pretty box for the ultimate thoughtful edible gift.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Full of warming spices, pumpkin, and rich dark chocolate.
- This is a shortcut recipe using box cake mix, the most time consuming part is rolling the cake into balls.
- The cake is made with pumpkin puree and then mixed with frosting once baked, it creates a super moist truffle like mouthfeel.
A 9X13 baking pan is a must for baking, you will use it often for a number of different recipes!
Cookie scoop for portioning out the pumpkin cake balls.
A whisk for mixing the cake ingredients together.
- Pumpkin Puree- Pure canned pumpkin with nothing added.
- Spice Cake Mix- 15.25 oz box.
- Pumpkin pie spice- A blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, clove, allspice.
- Eggs- Room temperature is always best for baking.
- Frosting- Canned frosting will make your life easier, vanilla or cream cheese will work. Homemade vanilla frosting can be used as well.
- Chocolate- Dark chocolate is best for a contrast or flavors.
See recipe card for quantities.
- Chocolate- If you don't like dark chocolate, white chocolate would be just as delicious. If you.re worried about the chocolate melting, candy melts are a great option, they set up quickly and are very easy to work with.
- Balls- Instead you could press the cake mixture into a pan and cut them into squares if you want to save time.
This recipe has not been tested with other substitutions. These are just suggestions.
Step 1: Combine the spice cake mix, eggs, pumpkin, spices, oil, and water. Beat until smooth.
Step 2: Pour into a parchment lined 9X13 pan, smoothing it out evenly. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Set aside until cooled down.
Step 3: Break down the cake in a bowl until crumbs form.
Step 4: Add the frosting and mix until completely combined.
Step 5: Form into a ball, any size works.
Step 6: Dip the pumpkin cake pop in the melted chocolate, place on a parchment lined plate, place in the refrigerator until set.
Hint: Use a fork when dipping the pumpkin balls, it's easier to release the balls onto parchment paper with a fork. Drizzle with extra chocolate and sprinkle with cinnamon to make them look extra pretty.
- Cut slits into the cake when it comes out of the oven to speed up the cooling down process.
- Do not mix hot cake with frosting it will not yield the same texture.
- If you're having trouble dipping the pumpkin cake balls, place them in the refrigerator to get them cold before dipping in the chocolate.
Refrigerator: Store the pumpkin cake pops in an airtight container for up to 5 days
Freezer: Store in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Pumpkin Cake Bites
- Spice cake mix 15.25 oz
- Pumpkin Purée
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Vegetable oil
- Frosting canned or homemade
- Dark Chocolate
- 1 box Spice Cake Mix 15.25oz
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin pie spice
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup pumpkin puree pure pumpkin, nothing added
- ⅓ cup frosting vanilla or cream cheese (for after the cake is baked)
- 8 oz dark chocolate melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the cake mix, eggs, oil, water, pumpkin pie spice, and pumpkin puree in a medium bowl, beat or whisk until smooth.
- Line a 9X13 baking pan with parchment paper, pour the cake batter into the pan, spreading it out evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Place the cake on the counter until completely cooled down, you can cut slits on top of the cake to speed up the process.
- Break up the cooled down cake in a large bowl until fine crumbs form.
- Add the frosting, mix until throughly combined.
- Portion out balls (whatever size you like) Dip in melted chocolate, place on a parchment lined plate or baking sheet.
- Place in the refrigerator until cold and set.